The government is providing $9 million to support residential customers who are in arrears on their energy bills as a result of COVID-19.
Residential electricity consumers are eligible for CEAP if they meet the following criteria:
- Customer must have an account with an electricity distributor or a USMP. Only the account holder (i.e. the customer) can submit an application for the CEAP credit.
- Customer made at least a partial payment in respect of electricity charges on March 17, 2020, the date the Provincial Emergency was declared.
- As of the day of applying, customer has overdue amounts owing for electricity charges from at least two electricity bills since March 17, 2020.
- Customer has not received Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP) or Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) grants in 2020.
- Customer or the customer’s spouse / common-law partner (who must share the same address with the customer):
- Is unemployed at the time of the CEAP application, and;
- Qualified for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) or
- Received Employment Insurance (EI) after March 17, 2020
CEAP applications are processed on a first come first serve basis until the program funds are depleted. Be sure to get your application in early.