On November 1, 2021, the Ontario Ministry of Energy announced that electric and natural gas utilities across the province must provide their customers with access to Green Button data no later than November 1, 2023.
Green Button is a data standard that provides energy customers with more choice in how they access their electricity and natural gas data. With a simple and secure process, customers will be able to securely download or connect (share) their energy usage data in an industry-standard format with registered third parties.
Green Button Download My Data® (DMD)
The Green Button Download My Data (DMD) standard allows consumers to select-and-download their usage and billing data from their energy provider’s website in an industry-standard XML format.
Green Button Connect My Data® (CMD)
The Green Button Connect My Data (CMD) standard, also referred to as Data Shares, is the industry standard for securely authorizing and sharing electricity usage data with registered third-party vendors.
Frequently Asked Questions for Consumers
On November 1, 2021, the Ontario Ministry of Energy announced that electric and natural gas utilities across the province must provide their customers with access to Green Button data no later than November 1, 2023. Read the full news release.
Below are just a few of the benefits of Green Button data:
- Improve energy efficiency – Consumers can use Green Button data to identify and compare their energy usage in order to improve energy efficiency within their home or business.
- Reduce energy costs – By learning their usage patterns and habits, consumers can make informed choices about how much energy they use and when they use it. When consumers use energy during off-peak hours (also known as peak-shaving) and invest in energy-efficient appliances, it saves money and can help reduce strain on the grid.
- Energy conservation – consumers can use their data to conserve energy to help reduce their carbon footprint and protect the environment.
- Secure access – with Green Button standards, consumers can rest assured that their data and private information is secure. Utilities must go through a strict testing and certification process to become Green Button standard-compliant.
Green button tools to understand large volumes of energy data will help pave the way for future innovations in the energy sector.
Green Button Data for Residential Customers:
Many customers are already viewing their energy data through a customer portal on their utility website. With Green Button, third party apps can analyze the data and provide insights to help customers make sense of their energy use and make informed decisions to help reduce costs.
With CMD, data is shared on an ongoing basis. This allows third parties to provide insights and alerts on usage trends and changes.
Green Button Data for Businesses:
For customers with a large number of properties across multiple utilities, Green Button provides a standardized format so that the data they receive from each utility is in a similar format. Green Button third parties in the commercial sector are able to analyze large volumes of data across multiple facilities to provide energy management advice.
With CMD, data is shared on an ongoing basis. This allows third parties to provide insights and alerts on usage trends and changes including monitoring the impact of energy efficiency measures taken.
Green Button will also make it easier for facilities to complete mandatory government reporting requirements.
From the Halton Hills Hydro Website:
- Go directly to the Green Button Portal
- Enter AccountOnline User Name and Password, if applicable or enter your Account Number and Meter Number (electric) to validate that you are the account owner (Note: You will need to have a recent bill handy)
- Select the Download My Data tab
- Follow the prompts to select the data you would like to download
- Click Download
- An XML file containing your selected data will be download
- This file can be shared with a third party or uploaded to a Green Button app to view.
Example 1: If you are considering installing or have installed solar panels on your home or business, you can connect the solar company to your Green Button usage data to analyze the return on your solar panel investment and make informed decisions about future investments.
Example 2: Commercial or industrial customers with multiple locations across different utility territories can access and analyze energy usage data from all sites in a consistently standardized format.
- Go to the authorized third-party vendor’s Green Button registration web page
- Complete the third-party vendor data-sharing authorization request form
- You will be redirected to Halton Hills Hydro’s Green Button portal to authenticate, verify the data sharing information, review the terms and conditions, and authorize data sharing.
- Halton Hills Hydro will then exchange a security token with the authorized third-party vendor which will allow secure, automated data sharing
Energy Usage Data
Historical usages up to a maximum of 2 years and/or ongoing meter readings of your meter(s), which may include hourly interval, demand, net metering and water (if applicable).
Your name, address(es), account number(s), meter number(s), contact information and other personally identifiable account information stored by the Utility.
Billing periods and individual charges, adjustments and credit lines items from your utility bill.
Third Party vendors must also be certified by the Green Button Alliance to by authorized as a registered vendor.
Before you authorize a third-party vendor, be sure to carefully read the terms and conditions on their website so that you understand how they will use, share or retain your data.
Third-Party Vendor Registration
This section is for third-party vendors looking to provide Green Button solutions to customers of Halton Hills Hydro. Customers must initiate Connect My Data (data sharing) through an authorized third-party vendor’s website.
Third-party vendors must register through Halton Hills Hydro. Please review our Third-Party Terms and Conditions. If you are interested in becoming an authorized third-party vendor, visit the Third-Party Vendor Registration Portal to complete the registration form.
Frequently Asked Questions for Third-Party Vendors
GREEN BUTTON and the Green Button Logo are registered trademarks owned by Departments of the U.S. Government.
GREENBUTTON CONNECT MY DATA and GREENBUTTON DOWNLOAD MY DATA are registered trademarks owned by the U.S. Department of Energy.