Tree Trimming & Planting
Planting Under or Around Power Lines & Electrical Equipment
The Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) of Ontario has prepared a guideline for those wanting to plant trees near overhead and underground power lines. The purpose of these guidelines is for the safety of you, the public, and persons maintain the power system and trees.
If you are considering planting or removing trees on your property near power lines, we recommend you review ESA’s guidelines and contact our office as well prior to commencing your work.
Tree Trimming Around Power Lines
The Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) of Ontario has prepared a guideline for those trimming trees around overhead power lines. The purpose of these guidelines is for the safety of you, the public, and persons maintain the power system and trees.
If you are considering trimming trees on your property near power lines, we recommend you review ESA’s guidelines and contact our office as well prior to commencing your work.
Key Items to Consider before Planting/ Maintaining Trees:
- Contact Halton Hills Hydro before tree planting, removing, or trimming trees and bushes near power lines, utility poles, or pad mounted equipment. Halton Hills Hydro will provide you with a list of approved trees that can be planted near power lines within our distribution service area. We can also provide you with our clearance requirements for planting in the vicinity of padmounted equipment;
- ALWAYS GET LOCATES! Contact Ontario One Call (1-800-400-2255), the Region of Halton, the Town of Halton Hills, and all other public utilities to request that their infrastructure in the area of your work zone be located and identified. No excavation work should commence before all locates are received;
- Check with the Town of Halton Hills and Region of Halton regarding By-Laws and specifications;
- Select a qualified landscaper or utility arborist to perform planting, removal, and trimming.
- Where trees are growing into power lines owned by Halton Hills Hydro, we shall perform the trimming and/ or removal of such trees.
- Know the requirements of the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act and clearance from power line requirements (www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/)
- Review ESA’s guidelines for Tree Planting and Tree Trimming available by clicking the above pictures or at www.powerlinesafety.info.
Halton Hills Hydro maintains a three year line clearing schedule to trim trees throughout our service territory. We trim trees to maintain line clearances to improve our system reliability. Our tree trimming is performed by skilled arborists who ensure the well-being of the tree while maintaining the safety of our staff and our community.
The interactive map below shows our line clearing schedule.
Zone 1: 2014, 2017
Zone 2: 2015, 2018
Zone 3: 2016, 2019
Zoom into the map to see which zone you are in. Notices will be distributed in each area approximately 1 week before trimming begins.
Click Here to see a copy of the Tree Trimming Notice